Take a leisurely walking tour through Central Park, NYC’s most famous backdrop.
THE OTHER GUYS FILMING LOCATIONS
This comedy action film directed and co-written by Adam McKay, a former head writer at Saturday Night Live, pokes fun at the buddy-cop genre like no other before. It marks the fourth collaboration between McKay and Will Ferrell after international successes like “Anchorman” and “Step Brothers”. The Other Guys takes place largely in New York, and you can see sites from the film on the NYC TV & Movie Tour.
Alongside an impressive cast consisting of worldwide stars such as Eva Mendes, Samuel L. Jackson, Dwayne Johnson and Michael Keaton, the film features Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg in the main roles as NYPD detectives Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz, who differ in their personalities as much as you can imagine. Whereas Allen is content with his work as an accountant in the office, Terry is much more hot tempered, sometimes even choleric, and desperately looking for some action on the streets of New York City. This odd partnership not only makes them fight nearly the whole film, it additionally earns them the disrespect and mockery of their colleagues and frequently a private audience at their boss’s office. But after the tragic passing of local heroes known for their action packed pursuits of criminals throughout the whole city, New York is in a state of shock. Terry now sees their chances of rising up, taking over the places as NYC’s most popular policemen and finally solving the crimes directly where they were committed. He must persuade Allen to leave his safe place in the office and build a new heroic duo with him to follow in the footsteps of Danson and Highsmith.
The Other Guys grossed over $35 million on its opening weekend in the USA and ended up with an international box office of over $170 million compared to an budget of around $100 million. It was mainly shot in Manhattan with interesting locations all around the city:
- The first scene when original detectives Danson and Highsmith pursue a group of criminals in their cars is at Madison Avenue between East 24th and 25th street
- In Chinatown at Division street and Ludlow Street, Allen and Terry run accidentally over a corpse at a crime scene with Allen’s Prius
- The Plaza Hotel, where shady businessman David Ershon holds a speech
- Right in front of Grand Central Station at East 41st Street on Park Avenue the two detectives get overpowered by some mysterious security guards after detaining Ershon
- In the next scene you see Allen and Terry walking home on Park Avenue and East 34th Street after the security guards stole their guns, car and shoes
- Later that day the two cops meet at the Peter McManus Cafe (152 7th Avenue and West 19th Street) to discuss the weird incidents surrounding the investigations of Ershon
- They talk to Ershon at his office right in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle
- As a distraction from their investigations Ershon gives Allen and Terry first row tickets for a Knicks game in Madison Square Garden
* In an effort to stay current, we are constantly updating our tours with new locations and cannot guarantee the presence of locations mentioned on our site. If you have a particular interest in locations from a specific TV show or movie, please let your tour guide know and we will do our best to accommodate your request.